BANANA BLUEBERRY WHOLE WHEAT MUFFINS
Breakfast / Baked
A healthy, dairy free and vegan muffin recipe to make a tasty breakfast or a scrumptious afternoon snack! Thank you to the lovely Hayley from @nushandstem for this recipe.
Cook time: 25 mins
4 overripe bananas
1 cup (240ml) unsweetened soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp flax meal
4 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup (55g) avocado oil
2 cups (240g) whole wheat flour
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup (90g) monk fruit sugar or coconut sugar
½ cup (95g) blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- To make the flax eggs, mix the flax meal with 4 tablespoon of water, stir well and set aside. Mix the soy milk in a separate bowl with the apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar).
- Mash the bananas in a medium-sized bowl and pour in the flax eggs, soy milk, vanilla extract and oil. Mix well with a large spoon.
- Form a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet banana mixture. Fold the ingredients together until just incorporated and then add in blueberries. Gently fold through the blueberries until just mixed. Do not over mix the muffin batter.
- Place ¼ cup of batter in each muffin liner. Once filled, place the tray in the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and allow to cool on the wire rack. Once cool, place the muffins in an airtight container where they will keep for 2 days (longer if stored in the fridge).
For more recipe inspo, check out Hayley’s Instagram @nushandstem