CLEAN OUT THE FRIDGE SPLIT PEA + LENTIL SOUP
“Inspired by @lmadesimple amazing veggie lentil soup, my version uses cauliflower to make super creamy with lots of different herbs and veggies. Don’t forget the garlic crisps and all that lovely garlic oil on top too. Keeps the colds at bay!” – Jo @modernfoodstories
Cook time: 50 mins
4 tbsp olive oil
3 carrots, diced small
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 celery ribs, diced small
1 cup butternut squash, chopped small or sweet potatoes
1/2 small cauliflower, florets only, chopped small
1/2 small celeriac, peeled + chopped small
6 garlic cloves, 4 minced and 2 sliced
1/2 cup dried no soak yellow split peas
1/2 cup dried no soak green lentils
6 cups veggie stock
1/2 – 1 tsp flaked sea salt to taste
3/4 tsp cracked black pepper
1.5 tbsp fresh thyme
2 tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 cup kale or cavolo nero, chopped
1 tsp Willy’s ACV
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large soup pan. Add the carrots, onion, celery, butternut squash, cauliflower and celeriac. Cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat until soft.
- Add the diced garlic for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the split peas and lentils for 1 minute.
- Add the stock, salt, pepper, and herbs. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 40 mins until the lentils are soft but a little al dente.
- Remove 1.5 cups of soup and use a blender to blitz until smooth. Make sure you don’t blitz the bay leaves.
- Add your blitzed soup back to the pan and stir to combine. *Optionable – add a little more veggie stock until you reach your desired consistency.
- Stir in the kale or cavolo nero and heat until wilted, about 1 min.
- Add Willy’s Apple Cider Vinegar, adjust seasoning to taste.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Fry the garlic slices for 1 min until golden.
- Top garlic slices and all the lovely oil on the soup and serve.
Thanks to Jo from @modernfoodstories for this recipe. Check out her Instagram for more recipe inspo!