Fried Chermoula Cauliflower on Herby Bean Dip
Dinner & Sides
By Melissa Hemsley
Steal the show at any dinner party with these Cauli Steaks, but they’re super simple for a mid-week dinner too. They come together in 30 minutes on the nose! If you want to get ahead, the dip and slaw can be made in advance, then dress the slaw while you’re cooking the cauliflower. You’ll want to try the chermoula-esque spice mix on everything, or you could fry it with onion for the base of a pumpkin soup.
Prep/Cook time: 30 mins
Serves: 6 people
For the cauliflower dish
1 medium cauliflower (about 800g) save the leaves
2 tbsp ghee or oil
Sea salt and black pepper
For the Chermoula Spice mix:
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
To taste: chilli flakes or 1/4 tsp cayenne
For the herby bean dip:
240g cooked white beans or chickpeas (1x400g tin, drained & rinsed)
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
1 big handful fresh parsley & coriander, leaves and stems roughly chopped separately
Extra virgin olive oil to serve
For the slaw:
1/4 red cabbage (150g) finely shredded
1 green apple, cut into matchsticks
1 celery stick and leaves, sliced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp Willy’s Apple Cider Vinegar
*Waste not tip*: The dip is a delicious way to use up hardier parsley and coriander stems, saving the leaves for garnishing so there’s no waste, just like the cauliflower leaves. You could also make this with broccoli steaks, aubergine wedges or squash, sliced into half-moons. Fennel and carrot would also be great in the slaw.
- Preheat the oven to fan 220°C/Gas mark 9. Slice two 2–3cm thick steaks off the cauliflower and roughly chop the remaining cauliflower florets and the leaves, keeping them separate.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the chermoula.
- Put the cauliflower florets in a roasting tray with 1 tablespoon of the ghee or oil, half of the chermoula spice mix, sea salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 15–20 minutes, adding the chopped cauliflower leaves halfway through and tossing everything together.
- Melt the remaining ghee or oil in a large frying pan and fry the cauliflower steaks for 2 minutes on each side, then add the remaining spice mix and carefully turn again, coating the steaks in the spice. Cook for a further 2 minutes until just tender (you could now pop in the oven to keep warm).
- Meanwhile, mix all the slaw ingredients together with the parsley and coriander leaves in a medium bowl and season to taste.
- Blitz all the dip ingredients in a food processor with the parsley and coriander stems and taste for seasoning. Add 2–4 tablespoons cold water until nice and thick. Divide the green bean dip between the plates, drizzle with olive oil and top with the hot cauliflower steak and the florets and leaves. Serve the slaw on top or on the side.
These spiced Chermoula Cauliflower Steaks on green dip is a very special exclusive recipe from Melissa Hemsley’s new cookbook *Eat Green* which is out now. Melissa has kindly allowed us to share it on our Willy’s Wellness website. Both the recipe and photography are credited to her. We recommend using Happy Butter Ghee!