Goats Cheese and Red Onion Tartlets
It’s Canape season!
Willy’s caramelised apple balsamic, red onion and goats’ cheese tartlets – perfect for the party season. Impress your friends and treat your family with these delicious and fun tartlets. It is a busy time of year, and food prep is essential. So, you can get ahead of time and part cook your tarts. Once you have done that you simply freeze your tartlets in a tupperware for several weeks, and they will be ready to whip out when you need them! So go on and give these goats cheese tartlets a go and let us know what you think.
For the caramelised onions
2 red onions (finely sliced)
4 tbsp of Willy’s apple balsamic
2 tbsp British rapeseed oil
2 tbsp water
Large sprig of fresh thyme
Large slab of salted butter
Freshly ground black pepper
Soft goats’ cheese of your cheese
Ready rolled puff pastry
- Heat the oil in a pan and add your red onions, salt and pepper, Willy’s apple balsamic, thyme and a knob of butter. Cover and simmer, while stirring occasionally, on a medium heat until soft, then remove the lid and allow excess liquid to bubble off… this should result in beautifully caramelised red onions. Check seasoning and leave to cool.
- Cut you pastry, either into equal squares for canapes, (or you can leave it whole and blind bake, or do any shape you like), and pop them onto a baking tray lined with a greaseproof paper.
- Use a fork to prick the insides of each of the squares (where you don’t want it to puff, and the onion and goat cheese will go).
- Pre-heat the oven to 180.
- Place a good dollop of caramelised onions into the middle of each pastry square.
- Top with a good amount of crumbled / torn / chopped goats cheese.
- Bake in the oven until melted in the middle and golden brown on the pastry.
- Serve warm with a sprinkling of fresh tyme leaves.
Alternatively, you can make these ahead and part cook them and then freeze in tupperware for several weeks, ready to whip out on a moments notice.