Heart-Warming Pumpkin Soup
It’s soup season! And what better way to celebrate than making a delicious, healthful pumpkin soup?
Pumpkin soup is not only a heart-warming crowdpleaser, but also contains many health benefits due to its high levels of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
1 small pumpkin (4 cups cooked)
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 apples (diced and unpeeled)
1/2 an onion (diced)
5 garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
1 tsp fresh ginger
2 tsp fresh sage or thyme
2 cups veggie stock
1 1/2– 2 cups water
1 tsp kosher salt
1–2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
pinch cayenne, optional
1/2–1 cup coconut milk
Garnish- pumpkin seeds, sumac, warm coconut milk, sautéed diced apple ( sauté in coconut oil)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C
- Split the pumpkin in half lengthwise, place open side down, on a greased or parchment-lined, rimmed sheet pan. Roast 30 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork, through the skin at the top, narrow end.
- While the pumpkin is roasting, chop the onion, apple, garlic, and ginger and herbs.
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and apple and cook 6-7 minutes, stirring until golden and tender, then add garlic and ginger, and cook 4-5 more minutes, add the herbs,turning the heat down to med-low for one more minute.
- When the pumpkin is tender, flip them over, let them cool enough to handle, then scoop out seeds. Scoop out flesh and place in a bowl.
- Add the apple onion mixture to the same bowl.
- Then, blend in batches with the stock and water, until smooth, using a blender.
- Add the blended soup back into the same pot and warm over low heat. 10. Add salt, maple, apple cider vinegar. Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in coconut milk to taste.
- To serve, divide among bowls, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds & sumac (optional).