Hot Cross Buns
Breakfast / Baked
For a healthy twist on this classic brekky, try out the recipe below!
Time: 3.5 hours
Serves: 14 – 16
- Juice of one orange
- 300mls milk
- 2tbsp Willy’s apple cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 550-600 grams flour
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 75grams mixed peel
For the cross:
- 6 tbsp flour
- 5 tbsp water
6-7tbsp maple syrup or honey to glaze
- Combine the orange juice, milk, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup. Microwave for 1 minute or until warm. (The milk will appear curdled, don’t worry! That’s how it’s meant to look.)
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder yeast, cinnamon and pinch of salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until a thick batter forms. Start with 550 grams flour and add more as needed. Knead for 10 minutes. (If your dough is too sticky, add an additional 1-2 tbsp flour until you’re able to knead it.) Add the mixed peel in the final minute and mix until well incorporated.
- Once the dough is kneaded, place in an oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel. Leave to rise in a warm area for 1-1.5 hours or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough is doubled, remove it onto a floured surface. Divide into 16 small handfuls and shape into rounds. Arrange them on a baking sheet, fairly close together.
- Allow to prove for another hour under a tea towel.
- Once the buns are nearly ready, preheat the oven to 200c.
- Make the flour paste by mixing flour and water. Pipe the mixture into crosses on the buns or spoon on.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Spoon over or brush on the honey or maple syrup. Leave to cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!
For this recipe, we recommend:
Organic Live Turmeric & Honey Apple Cider Vinegar 500ml£6.95 – £38.00
Organic Live Honey Apple Cider Vinegar 500ml£9.95 – £59.70
Organic Live Apple Cider Vinegar 500ml£6.95 – £38.00