Pineapple and Lemongrass Shrub
Pineapple and lemongrass lead to a taste sensation! This is a must try mocktail.
Prep time: 10 mins
1 Pack of frozen pineapple (or one fresh pineapple cut into cubes)
1 Lemongrass stalk (sliced)
120g demerara sugar
120ml Willy’s Apple Cider Vinegar
- In a saucepan add your sliced pineapple, lemongrass, sugar and water and stir on a low heat for up to 5 minutes, crushing the pineapple as you go to release the juices.
- When the sugar and pineapple mix has started to caramelise add in your ACV and stir whilst still crushing the pineapple. This can take around 10 minutes.
- Take off the heat and leave overnight with a cloth over the pan.
- The following day place a fine-mesh strainer/sieve with a muslin cloth over a bowl and pour in the pulp.
- Let everything drain on its own. Do not press (as tempting as it is) through the strainer otherwise you’ll end up with the pulp in the syrup.
- Do not discard your pulp, keep it for popping on top of ice cream or on a dessert of your choice, it’s a gorgeous flavour.
- Pour your syrup into a glass jar (kilner is ideal) and store the shrub in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- To make your cocktail, simply place 5 tbsp of your pineapple shrub mixture followed by crushed ice and a tonic water and serve with pineapple cubes and blackberries and some lovely fresh thyme/rosemary and a drizzle more of your pineapple shrub mix on top. A perfect summer cocktail.