Sesame Ginger Lime Noodles
“These Sesame, Ginger & Lime Noodles hit the spot for a quick & easy lunch or dinner. If you make for dinner, the leftovers are wonderful for tomorrow’s lunch too! I made it with what I had at home this time; asparagus, frozen peas, limp cavolo nero & celery but it’s lovely with all veg, so use what you’ve got. Sometimes I keep the greens raw when they’re super fresh & when the sun’s out.
I use soba noodles but you can use whatever you like best. Also if you haven’t got any citrus, swap for apple cider vinegar instead. And I like mine really gingery so I use a lot but you can use less or more if you’re wild like me.” – Melissa Hemsley
Prep Time: 25 mins
4 bundles soba noodles
1/2 head cabbage/pak choy/kale, sliced
1 head broccoli/asparagus/green beans
4 handfuls frozen peas, broad beans or edamame or a mix
2 handfuls fresh herbs like coriander/mint/basil
4 spring onions/chopped chives
Handful sesame seeds
2 handfuls pumpkin seeds or toasted cashews or any nuts/seeds you like
½ large cucumber or fennel or celery, something crunchy) sliced
Ginger lime dressing:
1-2 inches ginger
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 fat clove garlic, finely chopped
Pinch chilli flakes / fresh chilli
2 – 3 tbsp tamari
2 tsp raw honey or maple syrup
2 tsp toasted sesame oil or 2 tsp miso if you have that
Sea salt & pepper
- Finely grate or chop the ginger and garlic and whisk all the other dressing ingredients together or if you like, blitz them all together and season to taste.
- Finely shred the greens and chop the broccoli, make sure you finely slice the stalk too.
- Toast the nuts or seeds and sesame seeds in a dry frying pan for a few mins until golden & set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the noodles in plenty of boiling water (check label). Buckwheat noodles can sometimes get a bit stuck so use 2 forks at the beginning and a good sized pan with plenty of water to stop them getting clumpy. As soon as they are cooked, rinse well with cold water, drain and toss with a little oil.
- Meanwhile back to the first pan, steam or stir fry the broccoli/greens for 3 mins then add the frozen peas/edamame/broad beans for a final few minutes so that the greens are just tender & keep their bright green colour.
- Then on a big serving platter/bowl, mix the noodles and veg together with most of the dressing, toss the herbs through, scatter over the nuts or seeds & serve the rest of the dressing on the side. Enjoy now as a warm salad or chill for later.