Strawberry Jam Shrub Cocktail
What to drink on Valentine’s Day, when you’re not drinking: Apple cider vinegar fruit shrub mocktails!
250g Strawberries (hulled and quartered)
200g Caster Sugar
200ml Willy’s Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Thyme Sprigs
To make this delicious valentines day shrub cocktail
- In a saucepan pop in your sugar and water and stir on a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add in your strawberries and thyme sprigs and stir for a few minutes on a medium heat before bringing the heat down to a low simmer.
- Stir frequently until your strawberries start to become sticky, syrupy and jammy then add in your ACV and stir for a minute.
- Place a fine-mesh strainer/sieve with a muslin cloth over a bowl and pour in all the strawberries, thyme and liquid.
- Let everything drain on its own. Do not press the strawberries (as tempting as it is) through the strainer otherwise you’ll end up with the pulp in the syrup.
- Do not discard your pulp, keep it for popping on top of ice cream or spread on your toast. Very tasty!
- Pour your syrup into a glass jar (kilner is ideal) and store the shrub in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- To make your cocktail, simply place 2-3 tbsp of the syrup into a glass of your choice and fill with a good tonic water and sliced strawberries to compliment
This recipe was created by Katie Smith aka The Humble Pescetarian for Willys ACV