Winter Apple Cider Vinegar Pickled Beets
These simple beetroots are wonderful in salads or by themselves, as a healthy snack, packed full of anti-oxidants and probiotics.
Prep time: 30 mins
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, quartered
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds medium red beets, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- Bring the vinegar mixture, onion, garlic, mustard seeds, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns, thyme and oregano to a boil.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the beets until crisp-tender (about 10 minutes).
- Drain and transfer to a heatproof bowl.
- Pour the hot liquid over the beets and let stand at room temperature for 4 hours or refrigerate overnight.
- Drain the beets, transfer to a bowl, serve and enjoy!